On September 5, 1895, the entire
complex was complete. The project consisted of a tower, family quarters,
a steam fog signal and boiler house, stable, boathouse, two docks, two
oil houses, brick outhouse, paint shed and a tramway, which was used
to transport supplies from the boats up the slope to the light.
The white tower stood seventy-nine feet, nine inches tall. Since the
light had to be lit manually, a light keeper was needed to constantly
check the light. The ten-sided cast iron lantern room held a Third Order
Fresnel lens, made by LaPaute of Paris. The keeper's house was a
two-story brick building with bowed ends and a gabled roof. In 1925,
an additional living quarters was added on to the rear of the house
and displays solid copper moldings.
The Seul Choix Point Lighthouse has represented peacefulness and a place
of refuge during the changing times. The Native Americans and fur traders
sought safety in the harbor while fishermen and loggers depended on
its resources for their livelihood. Sailors relied on the peace of mind
brought by the light and fog signal. Today, the trashing and shipping
industries need the light as a navigational aid. The lighthouse - still
fully operational - symbolizes the roots of many area families. Through
the renovation and preservation of the Point, the value of history will
be shared with all those who visit the memorable Seul Choix Point.